Wednesday, March 04, 2009

A Little Vacation Never Hurt Anybody...

...especially me. This was a much needed break from everything. For the past few months it feels like I have been floating through the weeks waiting for the weekends to come so I can unwind and let loose. Work has been crazy for the last two months. I was promoted this past year and January and February are extremely busy and stressful for my new position and I had no idea what I was getting myself in to. My job required me to do things I had no idea how to do and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out even the smallest detail. I am unbelievably relieved to have made it through.

Then there's CrossFit. CrossFit has been both mentally and physically demanding and a much needed outlet for the stresses of work. However, it has also been a point of an internal struggle for me. I think this was epitomized by my no-show the morning of the CrossFit Regional Games registration. I knew this day was coming and instead of staying in and getting a good night’s rest, I went out with my friends and stayed up all night drinking. Because of that I was the only person who didn’t get registered before all the spots filled up. Then it hit me, the realization that I missed out on something that I was actually really excited about. I was so mad at myself. Luckily I was given a second chance when they opened more spots and I jumped at the opportunity. Ever since then I have been getting better with my diet and I have become more serious with my training. But I still have been “enjoying” my weekends too much and I know that is keeping me from achieving better results in my training.

That’s where this vacation comes in to play. This was literally 5 days of drinking with a couple days of skiing mixed in somewhere. I loved every minute of it. This was a much needed recharge away from everything. Now, hopefully I can focus more at work and that I don’t just float through the weeks anymore. I know I am not going to be able to give up my weekend night life but I know I can tone it down and start focusing on being more healthy so I can perform as well as I possibly can at the regional games.

So here’s to a great vacation with some of my greatest friends. Let’s hope I didn’t lose too much ground in my training by eating horribly, drinking heavily and sleeping sparsely.

No comments: