Monday, March 09, 2009

A couple new PRs and one very apparent weakness.

Working on some weighted push-ups
I stole this from Megan. Thanks for the great pic Megan!!

I have grown to love strength days, I feel that I get more out of them than when we do metcon WODs. Today was no exception. We did deadlifts, front squats and strict shoulder presses and I set two new PRs. Two new PRs even though I was extremely sore still from Saturday's run in with "Grapplers Tabata." My quads we on fire, my shoulders and upper back were stiff, and pretty much my whole body was not happy with me. So when I got to the gym I used the roller to try and work out some kinks.

First was the deadlift. We were supposed to work on sets of one up to our previous max and then try to set a new PR. My old PR was 401 and I was confident I could beat that tonight. I was working with Neil and our last working set was with 396. We jumped to 411 for our PR attempt. I actually had no problem lifting the weight off the ground although my form was horrible. The only time I struggled was finishing the lift at the top but I was able to get it. I actually think I could have gone heavier but I was happy with that. For the shoulder press my 1 rep max was 160 and we were doing sets of 4. My goal was 145 but I was feeling confident and tried 150. The first three went well and I struggled with the last but I got it. So two new PRs in one night!!

Then comes my weakness. I just don't understand how I can deadlift over 400 and I can barely break 200 for a front squat. I struggled a lot and just barely got up 213 two times. I desperately need to address this problem. Not only can I not squat much weight, but this also affects my ability to clean, jerk, snatch or thruster heavy weight. Looks like I need to focus more energy on improving my leg strength.

On a side note, I am extremely happy for everyone at the gym tonight who set new personal records and I can't believe how much our group has improved in just a couple months. I am looking forward to the next two months of training and I can't wait for us to show the rest of the CrossFit world what CFO is all about!!!

No comments: