Monday, March 23, 2009

A Little Experiment



You can just call me Mr. Guinea Pig for the next two weeks because I am attempting a little experiment with my diet. Two weeks, virtually no carbs. And here’s why:

When I first started CrossFit I probably lost 15-20 pounds of body fat in the first 4 months. Obviously results like that cannot be sustained for an extended period of time, and for the last 6 months I haven’t had the same results. I have made massive gains in strength and in my metabolic conditioning but I can’t shake this whole beer belly thing I go going on around my mid section. I have been training harder and eating better but it’s still here. Then this huge revelation came over me… what happens when you drink massive quantities of beer on a consistent basis? Oh wait, is that why it’s called a beer belly?

So I decided to speed up the elimination process and give up virtually all carbs for two weeks. That means no chocolate, no bread, no fruits, no veggies and especially no beer. So pretty much all the things I love. My one exception and my only vice for the next two weeks is milk. There are carbs in Milk but I don’t think I can go without it for two weeks.

I started the diet yesterday and it has already been tough. I was hung over from going out Saturday night and I had to refrain from consuming all my normal comfort foods like Arby’s or Fazolis. Today was a little easier but I did have a constant desire to stuff my face with any carb I could find. Luckily I made it through and supposedly the first two days are the hardest. I don’t know how it is going to effect my training but I am hoping that even if my performance falters for the next two weeks it’ll be worth it in the end. Hopefully I am able to shed some of the LB’s my 12 ounce friends have left me with and my performance goes up because of that.

Well I weighed myself this morning and I rang in at 179#. My goal is 170. Will this experiment work? Only time will tell.

No comments: