Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Where You Find Weakness, You Find Room for Improvement

Tuesday: day 1 of the next ".com" cycle. The workout was:

Five rounds for time of:
Run 400 meters
30 Glute-ham sit-ups
250 pound Deadlift, 15 reps

We switched to regular sit-ups with an abmat though because there were too many of us and glute-ham sit-ups are much tougher. I finished in 24:13. I was pretty happy with this workout because running is my biggest weakness so I took it pretty easy on the runs but the sit-ups weren't too tough and my deadlift is definitely improving.

Today we did:

15 Handstand push-ups
1 L Pull-up
13 Handstand push-ups
3 L Pull-ups
11 Handstand push-ups
5 L Pull-ups
9 Handstand push-ups
7 L Pull-ups
7 Handstand push-ups
9 L Pull-ups
5 Handstand push-ups
11 L Pull-ups
3 Handstand push-ups
13 L Pull-ups
1 Handstand push-up
15 L Pull-ups

I finished, as Rx'd in 22:something. The handstand push-ups were great and I didn't have much of a problem with them. The L pull-ups, on the other hand, were horrible. For those who don't know, an L pull-up is where you lift your legs to a 90 degree angle to the rest of your body and perform a strict pull-up. I had to kip a bit to get my legs high enough on most of my reps and I doubt, that in a competition, much more than half of them would have counted; chalk those up as another weakness I need to work on.

Outside of CrossFit I have decided to take on a personal challenge. It has always been a goal of mine to be able to do 100 consecutive push-ups and I found a site that give you a 6 week program to get there. I started on Monday with a max of 37, I could have done a few more but I gave in too early. Nevertheless, that is my base line and I am excited to see my improvement.

On a dietary note, I have been pretty good about sticking close to the Zone so far this week. And if you take away the small bowl of ice cream the past few nights, I have stayed away from sugar too. My meals for tomorrow and Friday are already planned and Saturday is going to be my "off" day. All I am hoping for is for the will and the desire to not drink a lot if I go out. Wish me luck!!

No comments: