Thursday, August 06, 2009

Playing the Field

Rowing...

I wrote a while back about a budding new relationship that I had just gotten myself into and that I was excited to be a committed individual. Sparqs and I were having a great time together and things could not have been better between us, not to mention our great trip to Denver for the Rocky Mountain Regional back in May. But being the free spirit that I am, things started to go sour about a month ago. We’ve had a few fights and it’s been getting more and more physical. In fact, just last week we had a huge fight that left me in a nearly handicapped state.

So I decided it was a good time to take a break and see what else is out there. The only problem is, I am so damaged that when anything new comes along I have to make it known that running is off the table, at least for a little while. Typically, I did what all of us do after a break up. I went back to an old fling of mine that helped me through my last rough patch. Luckily my Vibrams were eager to jump right back to where we were before my Sparqs. We got together Wednesday and things went pretty well, although I had to substitute rowing for running. I think the Vibrams and I are probably going to hang out more in the next couple weeks. However, I do have a couple other options on the back burner that plan on using depending on the day. I’ve got my new Risto’s that I plan on using during mostly strength and O lift days and then I recently picked up some Saucony Progrid Omni’s that I plan on using when I am ready to run again.

I guess you could say that I am no longer a one pair type of guy. But I guess that’s what can happen when you get hurt. So for now I am just going to play the field, not committing to any one shoe and hopefully, one day, I can find that pair that has the perfect blend of style, comfort and stability that I need, that I want so very much to find.

Translation:

My arch problems have slowly been coming back and last Friday’s workout, July 31st, strained something so much that I could barely put any weight on my left foot on Saturday morning. I had arch problems before so I wore the Vibram Five Finger shoes for a while and all my arch pain went away. There were two problems though, I hated running in them and they were getting rank from my sweaty feet. So I got the Sparqs and those worked great until a couple weeks ago when I could feel the pain coming back. So now I am going to go back to the Vibrams on days traditional metcons WODS, I am going to use my Risto’s when we have strength or heavy O lift days, and then my new Saucony’s for any WODs that includes running. I am going to refrain from running for another week, though, to let my foot heal a little.

I also am going to work more on soft tissue repair by stretching more often and for sure more myofascial release techniques. Hopefully I can fix this problem and with more soft tissue focus and the right pair of shoes. Cross you fingers for me!!

No comments: